- Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States: The Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume II
- Featured Publications
- All Publications
activity : indicator-sea-surface-temperatures-panel-1-process-2020
* The average temperature for the baseline period of 1901-2000 was calculated.
* The 1901-2000 temperature anomaly was subtracted from the temperature anomaly for each year to produce a new time series of temperature anomalies. The period of 1901-2000 was chosen because it is easily recognizable and fixed in time. It should be noted that the choice of baseline period will not affect the shape or the statistical significance of the overall trend in anomalies, it only moves the trend up or down on the graph in relation to the point defined as “zero.”
* The time series of temperature anomalies was converted to degrees Fahrenheit.
* Values were plotted as bars for each year, colored red for above average temperatures and blue for below average temperatures * The baseline was labeled as "1901-2000 average" and labels indicating warmer or cooler temperatures were added to the y-axis * A map indicating the 0-30N region of the globe was added next to the plot
Methodology Contact: Boyin Huang, NOAA NCEI
How the source was modified: Global average annual sea surface temperature data were downloaded (in degrees Kelvin) from https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/marineocean-data/extended-reconstructed-sea-surface-temperature-ersst (filename: aravg.ann.ocean.00N.30N). The 2020 update uses the newest version of ERSST (version 5). These data are temperature anomalies relative to 1971 to 2000.
The duration of this activity was 2 hours.Interim artifacts generated by this activity :
aravg.ann.ocean.00N.30N.v184.108.40.206003.asc,sea_surface_temp_04_22_20.xlsxOutput artifacts generated by this activity :
Computing environment : Mac OS Catalina
Software used : Microsoft Excel
Visualization software used : SigmaPlot,Adobe Photoshop
The input object was time bounded starting from January 01, 1880 (00:00 AM)
The input object was time bounded ending at December 31, 2019 (00:00 AM)
The input object was bounded spatially:
This activity resulted in the following :
Alternatives : JSON YAML Turtle N-Triples JSON Triples RDF+XML RDF+JSON Graphviz SVG