- Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States: The Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume II
- Featured Publications
- All Publications
activity : nca4-km3-figure-process
For the 2012 and 2014-15 blobs,
1. Data were downloaded for the optimally interpolated SST from NOAA (OI SST, Reynolds et al. 2007 R. W. Reynolds et al., Daily high-resolution-blended analyses for sea surface temperature. J. Climate 20, 5473, from http://www.ncei.noaa.gov).
2. Monthly means were calculated to compile a monthly climatology over the period 1982-2011.
3. Monthly anomalies were computed by subtracting the climatology from the monthly mean.
4. "Heatwaves” were then defined: a monthly temperature anomaly > 2 times the Standard Deviation (SD) (2*SD), where the SD is the standard deviation of data at that location (1982-2011) during that month that persisted for two months or more. (see Matlab function “findheatwaves_mnth.m”).
4. At each location, the longest stretch of consecutive heatwaves between 2012 and 2016 were defined (longestheatwave.m).
Start dates for heatwaves longer than 8 months were mapped and are included in the image file named “Dates” layer of OMR_F4.ai. The 2016 Alaska section is a result of tracing over Figure 9.1b from Oliver et al. (2018) (Anthropogenic and natural influences on record 2016 marine heat waves. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 99:S44-S48). The names of impacted species for each of the 2012 (Mills et al. 2013), 2015 (McCabe et al. 2017) and 2016 (Barbeaux et al. 2017) were added.
Methodology Contact: Andrew Pershing, Gulf of Maine Research Institute
How the source was modified: Monthly means were calculated for a subset of the dataset period of record, over the period of 1982-2011.
The duration of this activity was 4 hours.Interim artifacts generated by this activity :
OMR_F4.aiOutput artifacts generated by this activity :
Computing environment : Mac OS 10.11
Software used : Matlab R2016b
Visualization software used : Matlab R2016b,Adobe Illustrator CC 2017
The input object was time bounded starting from January 01, 2012 (00:00 AM)
The input object was time bounded ending at December 31, 2016 (00:00 AM)
The input object was bounded spatially:
This activity resulted in the following :
Alternatives : JSON YAML Turtle N-Triples JSON Triples RDF+XML RDF+JSON Graphviz SVG