- Climate Change Impacts in the United States: The Third National Climate Assessment
- Featured Publications
- All Publications
finding 28.2 : barriers-to-implementing-adaptation
Barriers to implementation of adaptation include limited funding, policy and legal impediments, and difficulty in anticipating climate-related changes at local scales.
This finding is from chapter 28 of Climate Change Impacts in the United States: The Third National Climate Assessment.
Process for developing key messages: A central component of the process were bi-weekly technical discussions held from October 2011 to June 2012 via teleconference that focused on collaborative review and summary of all technical inputs relevant to adaptation (130+) as well as additional published literature, the iterative development of key messages, and the final drafting of the chapter. An in-person meeting was held in Washington, D.C., in June 2012. Meeting discussions were followed by expert deliberation of draft key messages by the authors and targeted consultation with additional experts by the lead author of each key message. Consensus was reached on all key messages and supporting text.
Description of evidence base: The key message and supporting text summarize extensive evidence documented in the peer reviewed literature as well as the more than 130 technical inputs received and reviewed as part of the Federal Register Notice solicitation for public input. A significant quantity of reviewed literature profiles barriers or constraints that are impeding the advancement of adaptation activity across sectors, scales, and regions.65ce3b87-d63b-4582-a9b5-f25510b64e97 a230ab8f-a284-491a-91cd-45d7b8b32bdf 7350d7b3-6e95-4375-ba23-26756b441fc2 5f2be58e-4fcf-439c-bba8-1ed29be711fe Numerous peer-reviewed documents describe adaptation barriers (see Table 28.7). Moreover, additional citations are used in the text of the chapter to substantiate this key message.
New information and remaining uncertainties: n/a
Assessment of confidence based on evidence: n/a
- Climate Change in the Northeast: A Sourcebook. Draft Technical Input Report prepared for the U.S. National Climate Assessment (5f2be58e)
- Adapting to Impacts of Climate Change. America’s Climate Choices: Report of the Panel on Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change (65ce3b87)
- Climate Change and Pacific Islands: Indicators and Impacts. Report for the 2012 Pacific Islands Regional Climate Assessment (PIRCA) (7350d7b3)
- Informing an Effective Response to Climate Change. America’s Climate Choices: Panel on Informing Effective Decisions and Actions Related to Climate Change (a230ab8f)
Alternatives : JSON YAML Turtle N-Triples JSON Triples RDF+XML RDF+JSON Graphviz SVG