- Climate Change Impacts in the United States: The Third National Climate Assessment
- Featured Publications
- All Publications
Figure : elements-of-vulnerability-to-climate-change
Elements of Vulnerability to Climate Change
This figure appears in chapter 9 of the Climate Change Impacts in the United States: The Third National Climate Assessment report.
A variety of factors can increase the vulnerability of a specific demographic group to health effects due to climate change. For example, older adults are more vulnerable to heat stress because their bodies are less able to regulate their temperature. Overall population growth is projected to continue to at least 2050, with older adults comprising an increasing proportion of the population. Similarly, there are an increasing number of people who are obese and have diabetes, heart disease, or asthma, which makes them more vulnerable to a range of climate-related health impacts. Their numbers are also rising. The poor are less able to afford the kinds of measures that can protect them from and treat them for various health impacts. (Data from CDC; Health E-Stat; U.S. Census Bureau 2010, 2012; and Akinbami et al. 2011f9f323e6-ef44-44bb-b714-07d39ef00820 786ea089-cc61-4be8-86fd-a20124a95966 3e34e75f-04d1-4cda-bd49-6d58eeacd70e 9d5b5cfc-b76b-4659-b027-b2acefff4fc8 8d2f5285-d3ca-4290-8244-a32f1d73fad0).
When citing this figure, please reference CDC; Health E-Stat; U.S. Census Bureau 2010, 2012; and Akinbami et al. 2011f9f323e6-ef44-44bb-b714-07d39ef00820 786ea089-cc61-4be8-86fd-a20124a95966 3e34e75f-04d1-4cda-bd49-6d58eeacd70e 9d5b5cfc-b76b-4659-b027-b2acefff4fc8 8d2f5285-d3ca-4290-8244-a32f1d73fad0.
Free to use with credit to the original figure source.
- Health E-Stat: Prevalence of Obesity Among Children and Adolescents: United States, Trends 1963-1965 Through 2009-2010 (3e34e75f)
- webpage Diabetes Data & Trends (786ea089)
- The 2012 Statistical Abstract: Income, Expenditures, Poverty, and Wealth, Table 711, p. 464 (8d2f5285)
- webpage Decennial Census of Population 1900-2000, 2010 Census Summary File 1 (9d5b5cfc)
- Asthma Prevalence, Health Care Use, and Mortality: United States, 2005–2009. National health statistics reports. Number 32 (f9f323e6)
Alternatives : JSON YAML Turtle N-Triples JSON Triples RDF+XML RDF+JSON Graphviz SVG