- Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States: The Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume II
- Featured Publications
- All Publications
Figure : km3-figure
Extreme Events in U.S. Waters Since 2012
This figure appears in chapter 9 of the Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States: The Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume II report.
The 2012 North Atlantic heat wave was concentrated in the Gulf of Maine; however, shorter periods with very warm temperatures extended from Cape Hatteras to Iceland during the summer of 2012. American lobster and longfin squid and their associated fisheries were impacted by the event.1dfd2171-2be3-40b2-a8e2-c0df84ec462a The North Pacific event began in 2014e2d6b1b6-6e11-4e40-a7bc-d777f2bbba0f and extended into shore in 2015257c4627-9b78-41ce-a824-ebfe008a4c88,5300d778-0b4e-44bb-9449-c6a36ead3636 and into the Gulf of Alaska in 2016,ff0d186e-cad8-4def-ae0e-9d025d4e81b2,1d63deea-30f3-4fa1-ba08-3a969b23aa16 leading to a large bloom of toxic algae that impacted the Dungeness crab fishery and contributed directly and indirectly to deaths of sea lions and humpback whales. U.S. coral reefs that experienced moderate to severe bleaching during the 2015–2016 global mass bleaching event1f10cc44-9e2f-491c-a0ac-5ab533130318 are indicated by coral icons. Source: Gulf of Maine Research Institute.
Figure may be copyright protected and permission may be required. Contact original figure source for information
The time range for this figure is January 01, 2012 (00:00 AM) to December 31, 2016 (00:00 AM).
This figure was created on June 01, 2017.
This figure was submitted on November 23, 2018.
The spatial range for this figure is -90° to 90° latitude, and -180.00° to 180.00° longitude.
Related NASA GCMD keywords
- Anthropogenic and natural influences on record 2016 marine heat waves (1d63deea)
- Fisheries management in a changing climate: Lessons from the 2012 ocean heat wave in the Northwest Atlantic (1dfd2171)
- Spatial and temporal patterns of mass bleaching of corals in the Anthropocene (1f10cc44)
- Multi-year persistence of the 2014/15 North Pacific marine heatwave (257c4627)
- An unprecedented coastwide toxic algal bloom linked to anomalous ocean conditions (5300d778)
- Causes and impacts of the 2014 warm anomaly in the NE Pacific (e2d6b1b6)
- The high latitude marine heat wave of 2016 and its impacts on Alaska (ff0d186e)
This figure is composed of this image :
Alternatives : JSON YAML Turtle N-Triples JSON Triples RDF+XML RDF+JSON Graphviz SVG